09 Mar A National Mission to Promote Transformative Mobility have been Launched
The Union Cabinet has approved the launch of the National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage.
- The mission will promote clean, sustainable and connected mobility solutions.
- It will recommend strategies for the Phased Manufacturing Programmes for Electric Vehicles (EV), their components and batteries.
- The Phased Manufacturing Program (PMP) is to locally produce entire EV value chain.
- The Mission will determine the contours of the PMP. The details of the value-addition at each phase of localisation will also be finalised by the Mission.
- The Mission will give prominence to Make In India Strategy where electric vehicle components will be developed locally.
The Mission is multi-disciplinary with CEO of NITI Aayog as the Chairman of an Inter-Ministerial Steering Committee.
The secretaries of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, MNRE, Ministry of Power, DST, Department of Heavy Industry, Department for Promotion of Industry and Internal Trade, Director General Bureau of Indian Standards.
Roadmap For the Mission:
- The Roadmap of the mission is to develop Giga-scale battery manufacturing with focus on large-scale and pack assembly plants bye 2019-20.
- This will be followed by the integrated cell manufacturing by 2021-22.
- The Mission will provide a road-map to enable the country to produce innovative, competitive mobility solutions that can be applied globally.
- The Mission will provide a road-map for introducing sustainable mobility ecosystem that foster boost domestic manufacturing and generate employment in the country.
Impact of The Mission:
- The mission will impact the industry, economy and the country by providing low-cost sustainable mobility solutions.
- It improves the air-quality of the country and reduce the dependence on fossil fuels. Also, benefits the country by reducing import bills.
- It will enhance the country’s ability to uptake renewable energy and develop novel storage devices.
- It will enhance the ease of living of the citizens and generate employment.
Supports FAME II :
- The Mission will support the FAME (Faster Adoption and Manufacturing of Electric Vehicles) India Scheme the second phase of which was recently approved by the government.
- The scheme aims for faster adoption of electric and hybrid vehicles in the transportation mix.
- Under Phase II of the scheme, financial incentive to the tune of Rs. 20,000 each will be provided to 10 lakh registered electric two-wheelers and 5 lakh e-rickshaws with an ex-factory price of Rs. 5 lakh are eligible for an incentive of Rs. 50,000 each.
- For four-wheelers, the incentive is to the tune of Rs. 1.5 lakh for a maximum of 35000 vehicles and having an ex-factory price of Rs. 15 lakh.
- For hybrid four-wheelers, it is Rs. 13000 for 20,000 vehicles with an ex-factory price of Rs. 15 lakh.
- An e-bus worth Rs 2 crore will get an incentive of Rs. 50 lakh. The support will be provided only for 7090 e-buses.
- The total outlay for the second phase is Rs. 10,000 crore and this phase extends from 2019-20 till 2021-22.
Overall, the National Mission on Transformative Mobility and Battery Storage will support the industry by reducing the cost of manufacturing of EVs in the country and FAME II will increase the adoption of EVs. This will definitely augur well for the country where high pollution is costing lives and affecting the productivity of the people of the country.
The change that will be brought about by the initiatives will see people breathing clean air and access to public transport at affordable costs and fulfil the objectives of National Urban Transport Policy 2014.