- Recently, the Union government announced a plan to create a unified card that can be used to avail benefits of both the central government-run Ayushman Bharat-PMJAY as well as the health insurance schemes run by state governments individually.
- This step has been taken by the government to reduce the confusion among the citizens so that they know exactly which schemes are applicable for them. According to the Ministry of Health, at present, about 20 schemes are being run by many states.
- Currently, except Delhi, Odisha and West Bengal, all other states and union territories have agreed to co-brand the cards. After this co-branding, their joint name will be
changed to ‘Ayushman Card’.
- The card will be bilingual in English and the local language.
- Under the new arrangement, eligible beneficiaries of any government insurance scheme will be able to avail this coverage in any of the 25,000 hospitals empaneled under the central scheme. The central government will provide a cover of ₹5 lakh, and beyond that individual states are free to add to the insurance package.
According to the Health Ministry, about 188.1 million persons have been verified under the scheme till August 17, 2022, out of which updated Ayushman cards have been issued to 141.2 million people
About Classic IAS Academy
Classic IAS Academy is one of the Best IAS Coaching in Delhi. Our aim is to help brilliant minds of the country to become civil servants and make them leaders of the future who can take the nation forward. Our two UPSC preparation institutes are located in Bhikaji Cama Place and Karol Bagh, Delhi provide comprehensive coaching programme for civil services aspirants right from preliminary stage to interview stage. Classic IAS Academy is one of the finest IAS Coaching Center in Delhi.