07 Mar PM Launches Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan (PM-SYM) Yojana
What Is It?
It is a pension programme which was first announced in the interim Budget 2019-20 for the unorganised sector workers. The programme was now officially launched by the Prime Minister.
PM-SYM Programme Highlights :
- The PM-SYM is a central sector scheme administrated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment and LIC and CSCs are the implementing partners.
- The scheme will provide a retirement benefit for the forty-two crore workers in the unorganised sector.
- It guarantees a monthly pension of Rs. 3000/- per month for each beneficiary.
- To be eligible for the scheme, the beneficiary must be in the age group of 18-40 and must be earning Rs. 15000/- or less per month.
- Also, they should not be beneficiaries under the National Pension Scheme (NPS), Employee’s Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO), and Employee’s State Insurance Corporation (ESIC). Further, they should not be paying any income tax.
- The pension will be provided to the beneficiary after the attainment of 60 years of age.
- If the beneficiary dies during pension receiving phase, the spouse of the beneficiary will get 50% of the pension amount.
- If the beneficiary dies during the premium payment phase, the spouse can join and continue the scheme.
- The premium payment for the beneficiary varies depending on the age at which the beneficiary joins the scheme.
- A matching amount will be contributed by the Central government (50:50).
- Enrolment to the PM-SYM Yojana is through the Common Service Centres.
Much Needed Scheme
Insurance penetration is very low in the country. So far, it is limited to the salaried class of the country. PM-SYM will be a new beginning in promoting retirement benefits among the less affluent sections of the society. The scheme has the potential to reduce poverty in the country and enable the unorganised workers to have some kind of financial support at their later age.