- Recently, the Union Cabinet approved the “Widening access of Traditional Knowledge Digital Library database to users, apart from the patent offices”. Widening of Traditional Knowledge Digital database to users is an ambitious step of the government.
- Traditional Knowledge Digital Library was established in 2001. It is a prior art database of Indian traditional knowledge. It was established by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Department of Indian Systems of Medicine and Homeopathy (now called Ministry of AYUSH). This library comprises of information regarding existing literature like Ayurveda, Unani, Siddha, Sowa Rigpa and Yoga. The information is available in a digitized format in five international languages like English, French, German, Spanish and Japanese. Till now, access to this database was restricted to 14 Patent Offices across the world to conduct research and examination. Now it has been extended to more users.
Significance of widening access include:
- Widening of Traditional Knowledge Digital Library will drive research & development, and innovation on the basis of India’s valued heritage in diverse fields.
- It will also promote thought and knowledge leadership via Bharatiya Gnana Parampara, under New Education Policy 2020.
- This approval is focused towards integrating and co-opting traditional knowledge with current practices, in a bid to enhancing innovation and trade.
- This database will act as an important source of traditional knowledge information to advance knowledge and technology frontiers.
- This database can be accessed through a paid subscription model, which will be opened for national and international users in a phase-wise manner.
About Classic IAS Academy
Classic IAS Academy is one of the best IAS Institute in Delhi. Our aim is to help brilliant minds of the country to become civil servants and make them leaders of the future who can take the nation forward. Our two UPSC preparation institutes are located in Bhikaji Cama Place and Karol Bagh, Delhi provide comprehensive coaching programme for civil services aspirants right from preliminary stage to interview stage. Classic IAS Academy is one of the finest IAS Coaching Center in Delhi.