- Recently CBI has booked Delhi’s minister in connection
With Delhi excise policy 2021.
- The Agency is Investigating the aspects like granting undue favour to licensees
And giving them a reduction in licence fee.
- Establishment: it was established as the Special Police Establishment in 1941, to investigate cases of corruption in the procurement during the Second World War.
- Post independence the Santhanam Committee on Prevention of Corruption recommended the establishment of the CBI.
- The CBI was then formed by a resolution of the Home Affairs Ministry. The Ministry of Personnel, later on, took over the responsibility of the CBI and now it plays the role of an attached office.
Role and Responsibilities:
- To prevent corruption and maintain integrity in administration. It works under the supervision of the CVC (Central Vigilance Commission) in matters pertaining to the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
- Investigate cases connected to infringement of economic and fiscal laws, i.e., breach of laws concerning customs and central excise, export and import control, income tax, foreign exchange regulations, etc. But cases of this nature are taken up by the CBI either at the request of the department concerned or in consultation with the concerned department.
- Investigate crimes of a serious nature, that have national and international ramifications, and committed by professional criminals or organised gangs.
- To coordinate the activities of the various state police forces and anti-corruption agencies.