The Union Cabinet has approved school education reform project.
- This project is partially funded by the World Bank and is named as STARS.
- The agenda of the project is to govern the school education, improve data and assessment systems at the national level. Improve teaching and learning outcomes in 6 states, early childhood and vocational education.
- The project includes an emergency response component.
- This helps the government respond to disaster situations which leads to loss of education and closure of schools.
- TheSTARS project is known as the Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for Stars.
- The total project cost is of Rs 5,718 crore, partially supported by World Bank amounting to about Rs 3,700 crore ($500 million).
- STARS will be a Centrally Sponsored Scheme and the Department of School Education and Literacy will be the implementing agency.
- The establishment ofPARAKH as a National Assessment Centre is the major component of the project.
- PARAKH includes Performance, Assessment, Review and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development.
- PARAKH is an autonomous institution under the Union Education Ministry which is included in the National Education Policy 2020.
- This institution will set norms for student assessment and evaluation for all school boards.
- At the State level, the project seeks to improve education outcomes and school-to-work strategies.
- The project will cover Himachal Pradesh, Rajasthan, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra and Odisha.
- TheAsian Development Bank will cover Tamil Nadu, Gujarat, Uttarakhand, Assam and Jharkhand.
- The vision of the project is to monitor and measure activities in the Indian School Education System.
- The STARS project includes a Contingency Emergency Response Component (CERC) alerting disasters. This will help in the re-categorization of financing and the utilization of streamlined financing request procedures.
Two Major Components
- The STARS project has two major components-
national level and state level.
- At National Level:
- At the national level, the project will support all states and UTs.
- To strengthen MOEs national data systems which include capturing robust and authentic data on transition, retention and completion rates of the students.
- To support MOEs in improving the PGI scores.
- To strengthen the learning assessment systems.
- At the State Level:
- To strengthen Early Childhood Education.
- Strengthening classroom instructions and improving learning assessment systems.
- To improve service delivery, management of Governance and Decentralization.
- Strengthening Vocational Education.
- At National Level:
- The project focuses on initiatives under the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan like the PM e-Vidya, Foundational Literacy and Numeracy Mission and National Curricular and Pedagogical Framework.
Outcomes of the Project
- To increase minimum proficiency in grade 3 language in selected states.
- Improvement in secondary school completion rate.
- Improvement in governance index scores.
- To strengthen learning assessment systems.
- Partnership between states to facilitate cross-learning.
- Improvement in state level service delivery.
- Training of BRCs and CRCs for decentralized management.
- Strengthening management by training Head Teachers and Principals for improved education delivery.