Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the free grain distribution scheme.
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY), the free grain distribution scheme was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- The free food grain scheme will be extended by five monthstill the end of November.
- An additional outlay of Rs. 90,000 cr will benefit 80 cr people.
- Under this scheme, 5 kg of free rice or wheat and 1kg of whole Channa for each family will be provided.
Distribution of Food Grains
- By various states and union territories, between April and June a total of 116.34 LMT food grains has been lifted.
- For April month, 37.06 LMT, 93% of food grains were distributed to 74.12 crore beneficiaries.
- For May month, 36.83 LMT, 91% of food grains were distributed to 73.66 crore beneficiaries.
- For June month, 29.64 LMT, 74% of food grains were distributed to 59.29 crore beneficiaries.
- The 100% financial burden of Rs. 46,000 is been bared by the Government of India.
- Wheat is allocated to states-Haryana, Punjab, Rajasthan, Chandigarh, Delhi and Gujarat and rice to the remain states.
- The total pulses requirement for the months April-June was estimated at 5.87 LMT.
- Under this scheme, the Government of India is bearing 100% financial burden of approximately Rs. 5000 crore.
- To states and union territories 5.79 LMT has been dispatched and 5.59 LMT has been reached and 4.47 pulses have been distributed.
- A total of 8.76 LMT pulses was available in the stock till 18-06-2020 include- Toor 3.77 LMT, Moong 1.14LMT, Urad 2.28 LMT, Chana 1.30 LMT, Masur 0.27 LMT.
Food Grain Distribution to Migrant Labourers
- Under the Atma Nirbhar Bharat Package, 8LMT of food grains will be provided to about 8 crore migrant labourers, stranded and needy families, who are not covered under the NFSA or State scheme PDS cards.
- The state and union territories had lifted 6.39 LMT of food grains.
- To 121 lakh beneficiaries, 1,06,141 LMT of food grains has distributed in May and 91.29 lakh beneficiaries in June.
- For 1.96 crore migrant families, 39,000 MT pulses have been approved.
- For 8 crore migrant workers, 1kg of dal per family for May and June.
- Under this scheme, the government of India is bearing 100% financial burden of approximately Rs. 3,109 crores for food grains and Rs. 280 crores for the gram.
- The total food grains procured, wheat- 388.81 LMT (RMS 2020-21), rice 746.05 LMT (KMS 2020-21).
- During the lockdown period, through OMSS 5.73 LMT wheat and 10.12 LMT rice was sold by FCI.
- One Nation One Card Scheme is enabled in 20 states and union territories on 01 June 2020 and by 31st March 2020 remaining states will be added.