08 Apr Deadly Fungus Spreading Across The Globe Undetected
A newly detected fungus called Candida Auris which is mysterious and deadly is spreading across the globe.
- The germ, #CandidaAuris infects patients with a weak immune system.
- In the last five years, the fungus has been detected in hospitals of Venezuela, Spain, India, Pakistan, and South Africa.
- Lately, it has reached New York and New Jersey.
- The Federal Centre for Disease Control and Prevention added the germ to its deemed list of “urgent threats.”
What Is The Threat?
- Doctors have found that though a patient infected by the fungus had died, C. Auris did not.
- Even scarier is its persistence to live in a hospital setting.
- It is resistant to major anti-fungal medications.
- This adds to the threat of rising drug-resistant microbes.
Antibiotics Overuse :-
- Health experts have been warning for many years now that overuse of antibiotics and antifungal medicines is leading to drug resistance in deadly microbes.
- The usage of these is also high among farm animals, and antifungals are used extensively in agriculture.
- This rampant usage of antifungals in agriculture is leading to antifungal resistance such as in C. Auris.
Keeping Infections Secret :-
- As most of the drug-resistant or fungal resistant infections are seen in hospitals, the hospital authorities and local governments are keeping the infections secret away from public scrutiny.
- They do not want to be seen as hubs for such infections.
- This is doing more harm than good as such infections are under reported and the threat perception gets lowered leading to non-finding of a solution.
Threat To #India :-
- India is burdened with overuse of antibiotics due to over-the-counter availability such medicines.
- The anti-microbial resistance in India is growing steadily.
- Already, a drug resistance microbe was named after the capital city – New Delhi Metallo-Beta-Lactamase.
- Also, the country is burdened with drug-resistant Tuberculosis.
- The discovery of new fungus is another cause for worry for the country.
- Restricting the usage of OTC Antibiotics and reduced usage of anti-fungal chemicals in agriculture will need to be undertaken by the government in order to restrict forming such new strains in the future.
- Research needs to be undertaken to develop new medicines for these drug-resistant microbes.