1. Three lakh rural habitations lack quality drinking water supply: (GS-3)
UPSC Syllabus : Governance
Jal Jeevan Mission(JJM): Governance
- This mission aims to provide piped water supply (Har Ghar Jal) to all rural and urban households by 2024.
- This mission will focus on integrated demand and supply-side management of water at local level, including creation of local infrastructure for source sustainability such as groundwater recharge, rainwater harvesting, and management of household wastewater for reuse in agriculture.
- India has 16% of the world population, but only 4% of freshwater resources.
- Depleting groundwater level, overexploitation and deteriorating water quality, climate change, etc. are major challenges to provide potable drinking water.
2. NPPA hikes cost of 12 essential first-line treatment drugs (GS-2)
UPSC Syllabus : Governance
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) has hiked the ceiling price of 12 essential first-line treatment drugs, crucial in the public health programme, by 50% to ensure availability of these drugs.
- The National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority was set up as an attached office of the Department of Chemicals and Petrochemicals (now Department of Pharmaceuticals since July, 2008) on 29th August 1997.
It has been entrusted inter-alia, with the following functions:
- To implement and enforce the provisions of the Drugs Price Control Order (DPCO), 1995/2013 in accordance with the powers delegated to it.
- To undertake and/or sponsor relevant studies in respect of pricing of drugs/formulations.To monitor the availability of drugs, identify shortages, if any, and to take remedial steps.
- To collect/maintain data on production, exports and imports, market share of individual companies, profitability of companies etc. for bulk drugs and formulations.
- To deal with all legal matters arising out of the decisions of the Authority.
- To render advice to the Central Government on changes/revisions in the drug policy.
- To render assistance to the Central Government in the parliamentary matters relating to the drug pricing
3. ‘IORA nations should build a common vision for IndoPacific’ (GS-2)
UPSC Syllabus : Regional and global groupings
Indian Ocean Rim Association:
- The Indian Ocean Rim Association is an inter-governmental organisation which was established on 7 March 1997.
- It was formerly known as the Indian Ocean Rim Initiative and Indian Ocean Rim Association for Regional Cooperation, is an international organisation consisting of 22 coastal states bordering the Indian Ocean.
- IORA’s apex body is the Council of Foreign Ministers (COM). It meets annually.
- The Republic of South Africa will assume the role for 2017-2019, followed by the United Arab Emirates.
4. Google wants U.S. Fed to follow India’s UPI example CSAT
Unified Payments Interface (UPI): Governance
Unified Payments Interface (UPI):
- Unified Payments Interface (UPI) is a system that powers multiple bank accounts into a single mobile application (of any participating bank), merging several banking features, seamless fund routing & merchant payments into one hood.
- It also caters to the “Peer to Peer” collect request which can be scheduled and paid as per requirement and convenience.
5. Why is the Northeast on the boil? CSAT-1
UPSC Syllabus : Current events of national and international importance.
Inner Line Permit system:
- It is an official travel document issued by the Government of India to allow inward travel of an Indian citizen into a protected area for a limited period.
- It is obligatory for Indian citizens from outside those states to obtain a permit for entering into the protected state.
6. Tackling drugresistant A. baumannii CSAT-1
- Acinetobacter baumannii is an opportunistic bacterial pathogen primarily associated with hospital-acquired infections.
- A. baumannii has a high incidence among immunocompromised individuals, particularly those who have experienced a prolonged (> 90 d) hospital stay.
- The recent increase in incidence, largely associated with infected combat troops returning from conflict zones, coupled with a dramatic increase in the incidence of multidrug-resistant (MDR) strains, has significantly raised the profile of this emerging opportunistic pathogen.
7. OSIRIS Rex mission CSAT-1
NASA’s OSIRIS-REx will be the first U.S. mission to bring an asteroid sample to Earth. The spacecraft is currently orbiting asteroid Bennu and will spend two years mapping it before collecting a sample and returning to Earth.