1. IIP shrinks again, inflation accelerates (GS-3)
UPSC Syllabus : Economic Growth; Index of Industrial Production
Index of Industrial Production: It is an index which helps us understand the growth of various sectors in the Indian economy such as mining, electricity and manufacturing. This is a short term indicator of industrial growth till the results from Annual Survey of Industries (ASI) and National Accounts Statistics (Eg: GDP) are available. The base year of the index is given a value of 100.
The current base year for the IIP series in India is 2011-12. Thus, if the current IIP reads 180, it means that there has been 80% industrial growth compared to the base year, i.e. 2011-12.
UPSC Syllabus : Current events of national and international importance
With Bougainville’s overwhelming vote for independence from Papua New Guinea (PNG), the country has crossed a milestone in the peace process following the civil war that ended in 1998. The nonbinding referendum, to ascertain a preference for either greater autonomy or separate statehood, was a promise enshrined in the 2001 Bougainville Peace agreement.
UPSC Syllabus : Water Conservation
It is a time-bound, mission-mode campaign that would focus on 1,592 “water-stressed” blocks in 257 districts. The campaign will run through citizen participation during the monsoon season, from 1st July, 2019 to 15th September, 2019.
UPSC Syllabus : Indian constitution; Article 14
5. SC, ST quota in Parliament extended (GS-2)
UPSC Syllabus : Indian Constitution
The purposes of reservation in India:
• Advancement of Scheduled Castes (SC) and the Scheduled Tribes (ST) OR any socially and educationally backward classes of citizens (Eg: OBC) OR economically weaker sections (EWS) – Article 15 (4), Article 15 (5), and Article 15 (6),
• Adequate representation of any backward class of citizens OR economically weaker sections (EWS) in the services under the State. – Article 16 (4) and Article 16 (6)
6. Bharat Bond ETF opens for subscription (CSAT-1)
The public issue of Bharat Bond ETF, the country’s first corporate bond exchangetraded fund aimed at retail investors, opened on Thursday.
The ETF will invest only in AAArated bonds of public sector companies.
Copyright @ 2010 Classic IAS Academy All Rights Reserved (A Unit of Wezen Education Pvt. Ltd.)